GIS Graduate Programs Online
Geographic Information Science and Technology (GIST) touches all our lives, and the field will only become more important as we generate an ever-growing volume of spatial information. From online mapping software to connected electronic devices to smarter cities, we will soon be creating hundreds of petabytes-worth of spatial data in real time.
The University of Southern California’s accelerated, online GIS graduate programs are unique in higher education. Designed and taught by world-renowned faculty, a USC GIS education offers a multidisciplinary framework for understanding and applying spatial information to modern business, government, military and organizational challenges. We offer two master’s programs, which can be completed in 20 months and four online GIS certificates that can be completed in as little as eight months.
We combine education in research and theory with extensive hands-on experience using the latest data sourcing techniques, leveraging the best GIS software and working with spatial data in a real-world context. Graduates will be able to go beyond basic analysis of GIS data; they will be adept at developing solutions for some of the industry’s most complex problems.
Simply put, we provide a comprehensive, sophisticated GIS education that you can’t get anywhere else.
Learn More About USC’s Online GIS Graduate Programs
Both master’s programs as well as the graduate certificates in GIST and geospatial intelligence offer options for individuals of all backgrounds, from career changers to industry veterans. The geospatial leadership graduate certificate is specifically designed for experienced GIS professionals who are interested in managerial positions. If you have questions about any of our graduate GIS programs, contact an enrollment advisor.
GIS Career Outlook
Professionals with the vision and insight to address major global challenges and make innovative breakthroughs with GIS are in high-demand across numerous industries. In addition to commanding rising salaries, GIS professionals develop research and technologies that are critical to government and military operations, some of the most popular software platforms in the world and humanitarian projects of every size.
Learn more about GIS careers >
Why Choose USC for Your Online GIS Graduate Program
USC’s online GIS graduate students are part of the Trojan community. This means they not only receive an education from a top-ranked private university, they benefit from a combination of professional networking, academic rigor and personal attention that few, if any, other GIS graduate programs have the ability to offer. Our other advantages include:
- Individual and small group meetings, allowing you to build close professional relationships with your peers and USC faculty
- Accelerated 20-month master’s in GIST, a 20-month master’s in human security and geospatial intelligence and four 8-month GIS online graduate certificates
- Multiple opportunities to design, develop and execute your own GIS projects, providing real-world experience using GIS for challenges you want to solve
- Hands-on experience with the leading GIS software and technologies
- Access to on-campus lectures that you can attend in-person, virtually or on demand via our course delivery system, DEN@Dornsife. Learn more about our award-winning platform.