GIS Graduate Programs
Geographic information science (GIS) touches all our lives, and the field will only become more important as we generate an ever-growing volume of spatial information. From online mapping software to connected electronic devices to smarter cities, we will soon be creating hundreds of petabytes-worth of spatial data in real time.
The University of Southern California’s accelerated GIS graduate programs are unique in higher education. Designed and taught by world-renowned faculty, a USC GIS education offers a multidisciplinary framework for understanding and applying spatial information to modern business, government, military and organizational challenges. We offer five master’s programs, which can be completed in 24 months and four GIS certificates that can be completed in as little as eight months.
We combine education in research and theory with extensive hands-on experience using the latest data sourcing techniques, leveraging the best GIS software and working with spatial data in a real-world context. Graduates will be able to go beyond basic analysis of GIS data; they will be adept at developing solutions for some of the industry’s most complex problems.
Simply put, we provide a comprehensive, sophisticated GIS education that you can’t get anywhere else.
This video was created in 2019 and may contain out-of-date information.
Learn More About USC’s GIS Graduate Programs
Our master’s programs and graduate certificates offer options for individuals of all backgrounds, from people just beginning their career to career changers to industry veterans. The geospatial leadership graduate certificate is specifically designed for experienced GIS professionals who are interested in managerial positions. If you have questions about any of our graduate GIS programs, please contact an enrollment advisor.
GIS Career Outlook
Professionals with the vision and insight to address major global challenges and make innovative breakthroughs with GIS are in high demand across numerous industries, in government and military operations, and not-for-profit organizations around the world. In addition to commanding rising salaries, GIS professionals contribute to solutions at the very heart of human security and well-being.
Why Choose USC for Your GIS Graduate Program
Whether you study remotely or on campus, as a USC GIS graduate student you are part of the Trojan community. This means you not only receive an education from a top-ranked independent university, you benefit from a combination of professional networking, academic rigor and personal attention that few, if any, other GIS graduate programs have the ability to offer. Other USC advantages include:
- Individual and small group meetings, allowing you to build close professional relationships with your peers and USC faculty
- Accelerated 24-month master’s degrees in GIST, human security and geospatial intelligence, global security studies, spatial economics and data analysis and spatial data science, in addition to four eight-month graduate certificates in GIST, geospatial intelligence, geospatial leadership and remote sensing for Earth observation
- Multiple opportunities to design, develop and execute your own GIS projects, providing real-world experience using GIS for challenges you want to solve
- Hands-on experience with the leading GIS software and technologies
- Access to on-campus lectures that you can attend in-person, virtually or on demand via our course delivery system.