While taking SSCI 587: Spatial Data Acquisition, students in the M.S. in GIST, M.S in HSGI and graduate certificate in GIST programs will participate in a week-long fieldwork excursion to USC’s Wrigley Marine Science Center on Catalina Island. Graduate Certificate in RSEO students may also choose the SSCI 587: Spatial Data Acquisition course as an elective and would participate in this field excursion as a requirement of the course.
During their week-long trip, USC GIS graduate students will:
- Study GPS and unmanned autonomous systems (UAVs) and related sensors and the potential they offer for acquiring spatial data in an outdoor environment
- Conduct their own research project under faculty direction
- Build lasting personal and professional relationships with classmates and instructors
- Conduct spatial data collection and analysis, and deliver a presentation of your work
- Meet scientists from around the world who are engaged in investigative studies
- Take advantage of down time to relax, hike, swim or explore the island
Upon returning from Catalina, we offer a visit to the USC main campus and the USC Bookstore, a tour of the Spatial Sciences Institute and drinks and appetizers with faculty, schedules permitting.
Fill out the information below to learn more about the University of Southern California’s online GIS Graduate Programs and download a free brochure. If you have any additional questions, please call 877-650-9054 to speak to an enrollment advisor.
The University of Southern California respects your right to privacy. By submitting this form, you consent to receive emails and calls from a representative of the University of Southern California, which may include the use of automated technology. Consent is needed to contact you, but is not a requirement to register or enroll.